Friday 25 October 2013

Changing outlooks

Blogging is something I've struggled to do over the past several years. I initially opened this blog with the intention of keeping a record of my poker - using it to post hands and to generate poker related chat to assist in strategy and bankroll management. I must say, I have been fairly unsuccessful in this respect!!

I now feel that while I may continue to play cards, it's not really something I'm motivated to blog about. I've made a decent amount of money over the past few years, I've had some big ups and some big downs, but most importantly, I've found a new passion in life and that is now what I aim to use this blog for.

In January 2010 I went skiing for the first time and haven't really looked back. (Except for a blip with a dislocated hip!)

It was 2013, however, that was the year of big changes. I went with my long term partner to Red Mountain Resort, BC, on a sabbatical from work to spend the season on the Nonstop Ski Instructor programme. It was the time of my life. I skied terrain I never thought I could, I met friends for life and I left as a CSIA Level 2 Qualified instructor. Good times indeed! There were downsides too though. My partner and I went our separate ways. I left my home, my beautiful cat, my job (not so sad!), Aberdeen (even less sad!) and did the dreaded...moved back in with the parents in July. Wow. There are seriously no words other than NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

A little more on Red Mountain though. The resort is absolutely breathtaking. I have never seen snow covered trees quite like it, and the Kootenay sea, which can be seen in this picture, is unbelievable. The photograph doesn't do it justice. On one day, the most astonishing sun dog appeared - I didn't even know what one was until it happened. The light glistened off snow particles which created an appearance of a sun near the piste. As magnificent as it was, the beauty of the resort was not it's only asset. The terrain is unlike anything I have skied before, and the standard of skiing required is high. Despite the intensive training, by the end of the 3 months there were several runs I had not even dared to attempt, with their steep terrain, cliff drops and tight trees. Even with a lifetime of skiing, this is not a resort that can be easily mastered or you could ever tire of.



As for the Nonstop course, it was very well conducted, the staff were friendly, professional and hard working, and the skiing progression speaks for itself. I would recommend it to anyone.

So after returning home to the UK and leaving Aberdeen, life has been a little nomadic, and things are set to continue! In September I was successful in my application for an instructor job with Niseko Village Ski School in Japan for the winter, and the adventure starts on November 25th when I fly to Sapporo. For the next few months I intend to keep an account of my days as an instructor, as well as my life before flying out. I will add one picture each day to try and encapsulate my time. Unfortunately, the first picture is a rather boring one, having spent the day in bed, sick, with my faithful friend below as my only company.



On the plus side, I have found the motivation to restart this blog, so even bad days have their highlights!

Buenas noches amigos!

No comments: