Friday 29 November 2013

Japow!!

So a 30+ hour journey, 3 planes, 1 bus, a lot of hanging around airports, and I eventually made it to Niseko! The highlight was finding the amazing Japanese toilets with their many buttons. They even have a fake flush!!



The building we're staying in appears to be an old hotel, and the rooms are pretty big. The only showers are in an Onsen room so you can't be embarrassed about being naked in front of others. I guess I'll get used to it over the few months we're here! My room smelled pretty bad at first, but I realised this was due to numerous Japanese stink bugs crawling around! It has been much better since we got rid of them.



The first morning we awoke to snow falling. A nice welcome to Japan! We took a bus to the ski hill and had our induction and lunch at the staff canteen. The food was really good and very filling - it will be good sustinence during the working day! We took a trip to Kutchan - a nearby town - and got stocked up on food and essentials for the week (namely alcohol!). That evening we had pizza and an early night. Although we did discover this amazing vending machine in our building!



The following day we went to the ski hill again, this time for a Japanese prayer ceremony. It was great to experience some Japanese customs and we had a delicious free lunch at the Hilton hotel afterwards. The prayer ceremony was really interesting, although I'm pretty sure I wasn't nodding or clapping at the correct times!! We played in the snow and went for a short trip to Grand Hirafu where I looked at some second hand powder skis... Maybe! It snowed all day so the base is definitely coming along nicely now. :) In the evening we had an introduction to the ski instructor party lifestyle. Things got a little messy!

Funnily enough, yesterday I had a hangover day, but was made to feel better in the evening by a beautiful sunset on Mt Yotei. We got our ski schedule which looked pretty terrifying. My first two days of lessons are groups of kids. Eek!! After seeing that I needed some comfort, so I went back and bought the second hand powder skis for 30000 Yen! Picture to follow!





Sayoonara for now!

No comments: